Congratulations to the 2008 Donna Carnall Career Achievement Award winner Sharon Alt. Sharon was presented with this prestigious award at the annual awards luncheon in June.
The Donna Carnall Career Achievement Award was established by the Fort Worth Association of Health Underwriters in 1997 as a means of recognizing our distinguished member Donna Carnall and her many achievements. Her involvement included serving as President of the Fort Worth Association as well as the Texas and National Association of Health Underwriters. Each year, a Fort Worth member who mirrors Donna’s achievements, professionalism, reputation, and character is selected to receive this award, the highest and most prestigious honor the Fort Worth Association of Health Underwriters can bestow upon a member.
Sharon Alt is the founder and president of Alt Benefit Consultants, Inc. in Fort Worth, Texas. Alt Benefits is a Third Party Administration company that specializes in the consulting, plan design, and administration of Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Reimbursement Arrangements, Health Savings Accounts, and COBRA.
Over the years, Sharon has been an invited speaker at several state and national association meetings and conferences, helping to educate agents, employer groups, and other TPA’s on the proper administration and compliance of Section 125, 105, & 223 Plans. Sharon has written and taught several CE courses on consumer directed health care and conducts seminars across the country on tax code compliance issues for such organizations as Lorman Educational Services & the International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists.
Sharon is a past President of the Fort Worth Association of Health Underwriters and has held a number of other local, state, and national board positions.
Sharon Alt: Notable Accomplishments
- Entered the Employee Benefits Industry in 1989.
- Member of the Employers Council on Flexible Compensation (ECFC) from 1990-2005.
- Founded Alt Benefit Consultants in 1996.
- Earned CFCI (Certified in Flexible Compensation Instruction) designation from ECFC in 1997.
- Joined the Fort Worth Association of Health Underwriters in 1998 and has been an active board member ever since, holding several chair positions: Hospitality, Secretary, Legislation (2 yrs), President Elect, President, Past President, Media Relations, and Programs. Won state legislative award in 2003.
- President of the Fort Worth Association of Health Underwriters from 2002-03. Received TAHU Large Chapter of the Year Award under her leadership.
- Hosted a weekly talk radio show called “The Benefits Buzz: Inside Health Insurance in America” from 2004-07.
- Honored with Presidential Citation by the National Association of Health Underwriters in 2005.
- NAHU Region VI Media Chair from 2006-07
- Board member of the National Association of Professional Benefits Administrators from 2006-07
- Co-wrote two comedy CE’s about health insurance: “Death, Taxes, and Rising Health Insurance Premiums: are they all inevitable?” and “America’s Health Care System on Trial”. Toured the country performing these three hour plays for various organizations beginning in 2006 with no end in sight.
- Instructor for NAHU’s Consumer Directed Health Care Certification Course beginning in 2007.
- Honored with the cover story for Benefits Selling Magazine in March 2007 and began writing a monthly column called “By Consumer Design”. Member of Benefits Selling Magazine’s Advisory Council and presenter at their 2007 & 2008 annual conferences.
- She’s not done yet! After years of service, Sharon is more dedicated than ever to educating the consumer and ensuring that the financing of health care remains in the private market.